Did you know....
- The United States has one of the worst records among industrialized nations when it comes to child abuse related deaths.
- Every day we lose an average of 4 to 7 children to maltreatment and abuse.
- 85-90% of abused children are abused by someone already known to the family (not strangers).
- Child Abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, within all religions and at all levels of education. No group is immune!
- About 30% of abused children grow up and abuse their own children.
- A report about child abuse is made every 10 seconds.
- About 80% of the children who die from abuse are under the age of 4.
- The average child molester usually has a hundred or more victims before they are caught.
In 2014, the state of Texas....
- Had 66,572 confirmed child abuse cases and in 79% of the cases it was the parent.*
- 151 children died as a result of child abuse
- Region 8 (San Antonio and the surrounding counties) had the 3rd highest number (8,012) of confirmed child abuse cases in the state (37% increase from 2013)
- 59% of the confirmed child abuse/neglect victims were under the age of six.
- 51% of abused/neglected children are female.
An article in the Military Times, reported that there was a rise in child abuse cases in the military....
- The Army reported a 40% increase in child abuse cases from 2010 through 2012, including 118 in which children were killed.
- The Air Force reported a 25% increase in child abuse cases from 2008 through 2012, including 16 in which children were killed.
- The Marine Corps reported 1,591 cases between 2011 and 2012, including 6 deaths.
- The Navy reported 3,336 cases from 2009 through 2012, including 42 in which children were killed.
*Information obtained from the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services
A Few Facts About Child Abuse
MILITARY VETERANS AGAINST CHILD ABUSE
Copyright ©2014-2017 MILITARY VETERANS AGAINST CHILD ABUSE. All rights reserved.